As a patient-focused organization, University of Utah Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position provides patient care at the direction of a Registered Nurse. Requiring direct contact with patients and their families as well as the performance of indirect patient care activities necessary to support patients and their environment.
This position may be required to access medications within their scope of practice and according to State Law.
- Assists the patient with feeding, drinking, ambulating, grooming, toileting, dressing, socializing and unit specific technical skills.
- Reinforces or assists in educating and teaching patients/significant other(s) as delegated by the professional care provider.
- Collects, reports and documents data related to direct patient care activities.
- Assists with indirect patient care activities such as providing a clean, efficient and safe patient care environment, companion care, housekeeping, transporting of patients, and chaperoning the physician during patient examinations and procedures as needed.
- Performs unit specific duties and additional clerical duties as needed which may include stocking and maintaining clerical and patient supplies.
- Provides communication to hospital staff, physicians, patients, families, and visitors.
- May process electronic requests to order medical treatments and tests. May retrieve patient test and lab results.
- May schedule patient appointments.
- May maintain patient records and activity boards on unit as needed.
- May manage admits, discharges, and transfer functions per unit standard.
- Responsible for processing paper orders in the event of a downtime if working in the clerical role. Will enter "downtime occurrence order" and associated start and stop time in each patient record.
- May observe the cardiac monitor and notify the nursing and medical staff of any abnormal heart rhythm variances which indicate heart ischemia or an acute myocardial infarction.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined above.
- Demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated customer service skills. Ability to work in a busy environment.
- Demonstrated ability to use a multi-line phone system and utilize hospital paging system as needed.
- Ability to initiate appropriate action in emergency/crisis situations which require the incumbent to evaluate the crises and determine what the protocol is for each situation.
- For those enrolled in a nursing program, incumbents have three months from completion of RN program to obtain an RN license. If an RN license is not obtained by the end of those three months, the incumbent must immediately obtain a current CNA.
- Individuals in this job code with an RN license must also have a CNA certification if they remain in it longer than three months.
- Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card through American Heart Association or obtain within one month of hire.
- Current certification as a Nursing Assistant,or completion of first round of clinical and current enrollment in approved nursing education program or successful completion of RN program.
- Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- This position involves intermediate working conditions in a healthcare setting that may exert up to 100 pounds and may consistently require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving patients or objects, such as medical equipment, while providing patient care. Workers in this position may be exposed to infectious diseases and may be required to function around prisoners or behavioral health patients.